word wrap in body text?

Scott Scriven-2
I've noticed lately that body text in VO doesn't behave quite how
the manual specifies.  If I use a colon for body text, it
word-wraps automatically, but if I use a space, it does not.  Any
idea what would cause this?

I'd like both styles to wrap, but I'm not sure what to change.

In the past, I've always used the colon style, but now I'm using
spaces to keep the colons out of my word count.  It's National
Novel Writing Month, and that means 50,000 words by the end of
the month.  But I don't think colons "count".  :)

It's not a huge issue...  I can just 'sed | wc' instead of using
plain old 'wc', but it'd be nice to make both body styles behave
the same.

-- Scott

Re: word wrap in body text?

Steve Litt
On Saturday 01 November 2008 08:42:01 pm Scott Scriven wrote:

> I've noticed lately that body text in VO doesn't behave quite how
> the manual specifies.  If I use a colon for body text, it
> word-wraps automatically, but if I use a space, it does not.  Any
> idea what would cause this?
>
> I'd like both styles to wrap, but I'm not sure what to change.
>
> In the past, I've always used the colon style, but now I'm using
> spaces to keep the colons out of my word count.  It's National
> Novel Writing Month, and that means 50,000 words by the end of
> the month.  But I don't think colons "count".  :)
>
> It's not a huge issue...  I can just 'sed | wc' instead of using
> plain old 'wc', but it'd be nice to make both body styles behave
> the same.

Hi Scott,

I remember both used to word wrap. I think over time less and less people used
the space one because it's too easy to get hard to detect errors mixing tabs
and spaces.

The good news is ,,b and ,,B convert between the space form and the colon
form, so for wordcount purposes you can temporarily convert. Or, like you
said, you can filter thru sed.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US

Re: word wrap in body text?

Noel Henson
On Saturday 01 November 2008, Steve Litt wrote:

> On Saturday 01 November 2008 08:42:01 pm Scott Scriven wrote:
> > I've noticed lately that body text in VO doesn't behave quite how
> > the manual specifies.  If I use a colon for body text, it
> > word-wraps automatically, but if I use a space, it does not.  Any
> > idea what would cause this?
> >
> > I'd like both styles to wrap, but I'm not sure what to change.
> >
> > In the past, I've always used the colon style, but now I'm using
> > spaces to keep the colons out of my word count.  It's National
> > Novel Writing Month, and that means 50,000 words by the end of
> > the month.  But I don't think colons "count".  :)
> >
> > It's not a huge issue...  I can just 'sed | wc' instead of using
> > plain old 'wc', but it'd be nice to make both body styles behave
> > the same.
>
> Hi Scott,
>
> I remember both used to word wrap. I think over time less and less
> people used the space one because it's too easy to get hard to detect
> errors mixing tabs and spaces.
>
> The good news is ,,b and ,,B convert between the space form and the
> colon form, so for wordcount purposes you can temporarily convert. Or,
> like you said, you can filter thru sed.
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> Recession Relief Package
> http://www.recession-relief.US

Actually, only the ':' word wraps. It has to do with the fact that comments
in Vim cannot start with a space. Or, rather, we chose not to wrap headings
so normal text wrapping is off. Only comment wrapping is on. Comments must
start with a non-white space character.

Noel

Re: word wrap in body text?

Steve Litt
On Sunday 02 November 2008 01:34:10 am Noel Henson wrote:

> On Saturday 01 November 2008, Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Saturday 01 November 2008 08:42:01 pm Scott Scriven wrote:
> > > I've noticed lately that body text in VO doesn't behave quite how
> > > the manual specifies.  If I use a colon for body text, it
> > > word-wraps automatically, but if I use a space, it does not.  Any
> > > idea what would cause this?
> > >
> > > I'd like both styles to wrap, but I'm not sure what to change.
> > >
> > > In the past, I've always used the colon style, but now I'm using
> > > spaces to keep the colons out of my word count.  It's National
> > > Novel Writing Month, and that means 50,000 words by the end of
> > > the month.  But I don't think colons "count".  :)
> > >
> > > It's not a huge issue...  I can just 'sed | wc' instead of using
> > > plain old 'wc', but it'd be nice to make both body styles behave
> > > the same.
> >
> > Hi Scott,
> >
> > I remember both used to word wrap. I think over time less and less
> > people used the space one because it's too easy to get hard to detect
> > errors mixing tabs and spaces.
> >
> > The good news is ,,b and ,,B convert between the space form and the
> > colon form, so for wordcount purposes you can temporarily convert. Or,
> > like you said, you can filter thru sed.
> >
> > SteveT
> >
> > Steve Litt
> > Recession Relief Package
> > http://www.recession-relief.US

> Actually, only the ':' word wraps. It has to do with the fact that comments
> in Vim cannot start with a space. Or, rather, we chose not to wrap headings
> so normal text wrapping is off. Only comment wrapping is on. Comments must
> start with a non-white space character.
>
> Noel

:-)

I guess I remember a feature we've never had. It's not the first time that's
happened to me.

Anyway, given the fact that you have ,,b and ,,B, as well as sed, you can
easily work in the colon format and output to the space format.

* Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I guess I remember a feature we've never had. It's not the
> first time that's happened to me.

Same here.  And I even managed to mis-read the documentation
about it before I asked.  There's a part which says:

  Lines starting with a colon and space word-wrap

But I read it as "colon or space".  Oops.

-- Scott

Re: word wrap in body text?

Noel Henson
On Sunday 02 November 2008, Scott Scriven wrote:

> * Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I guess I remember a feature we've never had. It's not the
> > first time that's happened to me.
>
> Same here.  And I even managed to mis-read the documentation
> about it before I asked.  There's a part which says:
>
>   Lines starting with a colon and space word-wrap
>
> But I read it as "colon or space".  Oops.
>

> -- Scott

Correct Scott.

Noel

Re: word wrap in body text?

Frédéric Heulin
> Same here.  And I even managed to mis-read the documentation
> about it before I asked.  There's a part which says:
>
>   Lines starting with a colon and space word-wrap
>
> But I read it as "colon or space".  Oops.

Maybe, we could add to the documentation a little (": ")
so, especially non-native english speaker - like me -
cannot have an hesitation reading this.

   Lines starting with a colon and space (": ...") word-wrap

Fredd.

Re: word wrap in body text?

Ross Boylan
On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 10:14 +0100, Frédéric Heulin wrote:

> > Same here.  And I even managed to mis-read the documentation
> > about it before I asked.  There's a part which says:
> >
> >   Lines starting with a colon and space word-wrap
> >
> > But I read it as "colon or space".  Oops.
>
> Maybe, we could add to the documentation a little (": ")
> so, especially non-native english speaker - like me -
> cannot have an hesitation reading this.
>
>    Lines starting with a colon and space (": ...") word-wrap
Perhaps "colon followed by a space" would be clearer.
Ross