wrong tag for latest Mercurial changeset

wrong tag for latest Mercurial changeset

Tony Mechelynck
Hi Christian

Mercurial changeset d52a3969ce4f7b6600c9cc7c0aefc22ecdd34577 was given
tag v8.0.1367 but it adds 1366 to the list of included patches. The
Mercurial changeset also got no commit message beyond "patch 8.0.1367"
which possibly comes from the git repository, and _that_ is harder to
change, consideriing that past commits (and their commit messages) are
supposed to be frozen in bronze, especially once they've been
available for pull. Tags can be moved, however.

Re: wrong tag for latest Mercurial changeset

Christian Brabandt

On So, 03 Dez 2017, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> Hi Christian
>
> Mercurial changeset d52a3969ce4f7b6600c9cc7c0aefc22ecdd34577 was given
> tag v8.0.1367 but it adds 1366 to the list of included patches. The
> Mercurial changeset also got no commit message beyond "patch 8.0.1367"
> which possibly comes from the git repository, and _that_ is harder to
> change, consideriing that past commits (and their commit messages) are
> supposed to be frozen in bronze, especially once they've been
> available for pull. Tags can be moved, however.

Looks to me like the github repository. There is also no tag 8.0.1366
and patch 8.0.1367 also only contains the message patch 8.0.1367.

https://github.com/vim/vim/commits/master

Christian
--
Es gibt Menschen, die nur lesen, um nicht denken zu müssen.

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 8:32 AM, Christian Brabandt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On So, 03 Dez 2017, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
>
>> Hi Christian
>>
>> Mercurial changeset d52a3969ce4f7b6600c9cc7c0aefc22ecdd34577 was given
>> tag v8.0.1367 but it adds 1366 to the list of included patches. The
>> Mercurial changeset also got no commit message beyond "patch 8.0.1367"
>> which possibly comes from the git repository, and _that_ is harder to
>> change, consideriing that past commits (and their commit messages) are
>> supposed to be frozen in bronze, especially once they've been
>> available for pull. Tags can be moved, however.
>
> Looks to me like the github repository. There is also no tag 8.0.1366
> and patch 8.0.1367 also only contains the message patch 8.0.1367.
>
> https://github.com/vim/vim/commits/master
>
> Christian
> --
> Es gibt Menschen, die nur lesen, um nicht denken zu müssen.

Well, I don't know what to do about the commit message (the harshest
measure would be to revert the patch, then add it back with the proper
commit message, i.e. "patch 8.0.1366 -- balloon shows when cursor is
in WinBar"; but that might be a little overdoing it, and anyway it
ought to be done on the git master) but wouldn't it be possible at
least to define a tag "v8.0.1366" pointing to this patch? Then when
the _real_ patch 8.0.1367 gets added, setting the tag "v8.0.1367" to
it in the usual manner will "move that tag away" from patch 1366.
According to what it does in src/version.c, the current so-called
"patch 8.0.1367" is actually patch 8.0.1366 after all, and that's also
how it appears at http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/8.0/ , both in
the README text and in the patch filename.