xembed options for vim?

Aljosa Mohorovic-3
i can't find any docs/options related to using xembed withing vim or
using xembed to put vim into another application.
is it currently possible or planed to enable something like that?

Aljosa Mohorovic

p.s.
i did try posting this to user list a few months ago but it seems that
topic is more related to vim development

Re: xembed options for vim?

MarcWeber
Hi Aljosa,

I know about 2 related projects:
- one tried running Vim within Eclipse
- another group of people tried rewriting Vim or changing it so that it
  can be used as component. That project was given up.
(I don't recall the names). If its really important to you I'll try to
dig them up

You should talk about the overall problem you're faced with. Maybe you
get more hints then.

Probably others know more than I do.

Good luck!
Marc Weber

Re: xembed options for vim?

Aljosa Mohorovic-3
On Jul 1, 3:35 pm, Marc Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> - another group of people tried rewriting Vim or changing it so that it
>   can be used as component. That project was given up.
> (I don't recall the names). If its really important to you I'll try to
> dig them up

i was interested in http://yzis.org if that's what you mean but like
many other projects it died.

> You should talk about the overall problem you're faced with. Maybe you
> get more hints then.

i prefer vim over anything (i ever used or still using) but it would
make my life easier if i could embed external app into vim.
specifically i would like to be able to render a widget with webkit
capabilities and communicate with that window/widget via python
plugin.
i would like to force that widget to behave like vim window so i could
move it like a normal window.
basically something like NERDTree but capable to render html5.

i could also do all this if i can embed vim into another app via
xembed.

any idea if something like this is possible or is planed for a future
vim release?
also, any other approach or ideas would be appreciated.

also, i understand that something like this would decrease vim
performance but i also expect that eventually vim should be able to
provide better integration with modern ui widgets for vim plugins.

Aljosa Mohorovic

Re: xembed options for vim?

MarcWeber
> i was interested in http://yzis.org if that's what you mean but like
> many other projects it died.
Yes. That was the name.

> > You should talk about the overall problem you're faced with. Maybe you
> > get more hints then.
> i prefer vim over anything (i ever used or still using) but it would
> make my life easier if i could embed external app into vim.
> specifically i would like to be able to render a widget with webkit
> capabilities and communicate with that window/widget via python
> plugin.

I still don't understand? Do you want to replace text fields in HTML
documents by Vim ? That would be awesome!

Can you create a small pic illustrating how the result should look like?

Does this mean you could embed vim into html pages?
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/XEmbed_Extension_for_Mozilla_Plugins

> any idea if something like this is possible or is planed for a future
> vim release?
> also, any other approach or ideas would be appreciated.
Give more details about your idea then. Do you want to have a special
buffer which is kind of X display?
The other way should be easy: create a window and embed Vim and your
other X application.

> also, i understand that something like this would decrease vim
> performance but i also expect that eventually vim should be able to
> provide better integration with modern ui widgets for vim plugins.
Vim is a historically grown editor I love and hate it. I use it for
everything which counts more :)

Marc Weber

Re: xembed options for vim?

Aljosa Mohorovic-3
On Jul 1, 6:10 pm, Marc Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I still don't understand? Do you want to replace text fields in HTML
> documents by Vim ? That would be awesome!

no, i just want to embed another application into vim window.
you can completely forget that i mentioned html5, if xembed (or some
similar technology) works in vim anything can be displayed.

> Give more details about your idea then. Do you want to have a special
> buffer which is kind of X display?

i think it's been discussed before but yes, i want a buffer/window/
anything inside vim that can render more advanced gui elements.
since gvim uses gtk is it possible to display other gtk elements
inside gvim window?

> The other way should be easy: create a window and embed Vim and your
> other X application.

could you point me to an existing example?

Aljosa

Re: xembed options for vim?

MarcWeber
Excerpts from Aljosa Mohorovic's message of Fri Jul 02 01:26:37 +0200 2010:
> On Jul 1, 6:10 pm, Marc Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I still don't understand? Do you want to replace text fields in HTML
> > documents by Vim ? That would be awesome!
>
> no, i just want to embed another application into vim window.
> you can completely forget that i mentioned html5, if xembed (or some
> similar technology) works in vim anything can be displayed.
Sorry I was off topic.

> > Give more details about your idea then. Do you want to have a special
> > buffer which is kind of X display?
> i think it's been discussed before but yes, i want a buffer/window/
> anything inside vim that can render more advanced gui elements.
> since gvim uses gtk is it possible to display other gtk elements
> inside gvim window?
If you hack gvim then yes.
However I think you can't touch the main typing area easily because it
basically is a terminal or such.

> > The other way should be easy: create a window and embed Vim and your
> > other X application.
> could you point me to an existing example?
I don't have one. I mean you could create a gtk/qt app

  +========================+
  | TITLE                  |
  +========================+
  |           |            |
  | VIM       | YOUR       |
  |           |    GUI     |
  |           |            |
  +========================+

Then you have to xembed vim at the left and tell it how to display a gui
at the right (maybe using xembed again).
I never used xembed so I don't know exactly how it works.  glancing at
some docs found by google it seemed to me being possible.

Marc Weber

Re: xembed options for vim?

Andy Spencer-3
On 2010-07-02 03:33, Marc Weber wrote:
> Excerpts from Aljosa Mohorovic's message of Fri Jul 02 01:26:37 +0200 2010:
> > i think it's been discussed before but yes, i want a buffer/window/
> > anything inside vim that can render more advanced gui elements.
> > since gvim uses gtk is it possible to display other gtk elements
> > inside gvim window?
>
> If you hack gvim then yes.
> However I think you can't touch the main typing area easily because it
> basically is a terminal or such.

Agreed, if I remember correctly, even the GTK "tabs" aren't really tabs,
but more like buttons that tell the main vim window which "tab" it
should display.

On 2010-07-02 16:26, Aljosa Mohorovic wrote:
> On Jul 1, 6:10?pm, Marc Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > The other way should be easy: create a window and embed Vim and your
> > other X application.
>
> could you point me to an existing example?

This will work, and it's pretty easy to do, I've attached a simple
example using GtkSocket. What you won't be able to do is treat your GUI
as a "vim window", e.g.:

  +========================+
  | TITLE                  |
  |           |   YOUR     |