xterm like look and feel in Windows gvim

xterm like look and feel in Windows gvim

C.G.Senthilkumar.

Hi,

I usually use vim on a linux machine but now have to use a MS-Windows
machine. I have installed vim 7.1 on it. However, I don't find the look
and feel on a windows machine as comfortable as on a xterm in linux. And
I'd like to get the xterm-like look and feel on this windows machine. I
don't want to go the cygwin route, however. Does someone have a vim
source file to change the fonts and size etc. and can share it with me?

Thanks,
Senthil.

--
Today's fortune:
Real computer scientists don't program in assembler. They don't write

Re: xterm like look and feel in Windows gvim

scott-268

On Monday 14 January 2008 19:38, Senthil Cheetancheri wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I usually use vim on a linux machine but now have to use a
> MS-Windows machine. I have installed vim 7.1 on it.
> However, I don't find the look and feel on a windows
> machine as comfortable as on a xterm in linux. And I'd like
> to get the xterm-like look and feel on this windows
> machine. I don't want to go the cygwin route, however. Does
> someone have a vim source file to change the fonts and size
> etc. and can share it with me?
>
> Thanks,
> Senthil.

i believe the font you are looking for is called fixedsys

sc

Re: xterm like look and feel in Windows gvim

Senthil Cheetancheri wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I usually use vim on a linux machine but now have to use a MS-Windows
> machine. I have installed vim 7.1 on it. However, I don't find the look
> and feel on a windows machine as comfortable as on a xterm in linux. And
> I'd like to get the xterm-like look and feel on this windows machine. I
> don't want to go the cygwin route, however. Does someone have a vim
> source file to change the fonts and size etc. and can share it with me?
>
> Thanks,
> Senthil.

In Console Vim, the fonts (and, if you aren't using a colorscheme, the colour
of "Normal" text) are the responsibility of the terminal (on Unix: xterm,
konsole, gnome-terminal, whatever; on a Mac: Terminal.app; on Windows: cmd.exe
or maybe cmd.pif or something), not of Vim. I see two possibilities for
getting a better-looking font in Vim for Windows:

a) use the dos box's menus to change the height and width of the "character
box" and/or the number of lines of the terminal; this will also change the
terminal font (which is the font used by Console Vim);

b) start using gvim (the GUI version of Vim); then you can use any monospace
font installed on your system, see ":help 'guifont'". If you want to use a
single vimrc to set the GUI font on several platforms (e.g., on a dual-boot
Windows/Linux computer), see http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Setting_the_font_in_the_GUI

Impartial, adj.:
        Unable to perceive any promise of personal advantage from
espousing either side of a controversy or adopting either of two
conflicting opinions.

Re: xterm like look and feel in Windows gvim

George V. Reilly

On 15/01/2008, Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Senthil Cheetancheri wrote:
> > I usually use vim on a linux machine but now have to use a MS-Windows
> > machine. I have installed vim 7.1 on it. However, I don't find the look
> > and feel on a windows machine as comfortable as on a xterm in linux. And
> > I'd like to get the xterm-like look and feel on this windows machine. I
> > don't want to go the cygwin route, however. Does someone have a vim
> > source file to change the fonts and size etc. and can share it with me?
>
> In Console Vim, the fonts (and, if you aren't using a colorscheme, the colour
> of "Normal" text) are the responsibility of the terminal (on Unix: xterm,
> konsole, gnome-terminal, whatever; on a Mac: Terminal.app; on Windows: cmd.exe
> or maybe cmd.pif or something), not of Vim. I see two possibilities for
> getting a better-looking font in Vim for Windows:
>
> a) use the dos box's menus to change the height and width of the "character
> box" and/or the number of lines of the terminal; this will also change the
> terminal font (which is the font used by Console Vim);
>
> b) start using gvim (the GUI version of Vim); then you can use any monospace
> font installed on your system, see ":help 'guifont'". If you want to use a
> single vimrc to set the GUI font on several platforms (e.g., on a dual-boot
> Windows/Linux computer), see http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Setting_the_font_in_the_GUI

The default console fonts in Windows 2000/XP/Vista are Terminal (ick)
and Lucida Console. You can add others. See
http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog/2006/01/15/ChangingTheConsoleFont.aspx
Thankfully, I haven't touched Windows 9x in several years.

I wrote most of the Windows console mode code in the mid-90s, before
working on the first draft of gvim for Windows, and I don't see the
attraction of console mode. It might be a little faster on a really
slow machine, but otherwise I can't think of any area where the
console Vim shines over gvim on Windows.
--
/George V. Reilly
http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog

Re: xterm like look and feel in Windows gvim

Andy Kittner
On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 05:38:44PM -0800, Senthil Cheetancheri wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I usually use vim on a linux machine but now have to use a MS-Windows
>machine. I have installed vim 7.1 on it. However, I don't find the look
>and feel on a windows machine as comfortable as on a xterm in linux. And
>I'd like to get the xterm-like look and feel on this windows machine. I
>don't want to go the cygwin route, however. Does someone have a vim
>source file to change the fonts and size etc. and can share it with me?
>
>Thanks,
>Senthil.

Well,

under winblows I prefer to use gvim, the console of windows just can't
get anywhere close to a real xterm, terminal or whatever.

I order to still maintain a 'term-ish' look and feel I use the following
settings:

   set guicursor=n-v-c:block-Cursor/lCursor,ve:ver35-Cursor,o:hor50-Cursor,i-ci:ver25-Cursor/lCursor,r-cr:hor20-Cursor/lCursor,sm:block-Cursor,a:blinkon0
   set guioptions=c
   set guifont=DejaVu_Sans_Mono:h7.5:cANSI

   let g:xterm16_colormap="allblue"
   if (!has("gui_running"))
    let g:xterm16bg_Normal="none"
   endif
   colorscheme xterm16

Hope that helps,
Andy

--
Most of our lives are about proving something, either to ourselves or to
someone else.